Saturday 8 August 2009

Home

Not sure if I have mentioned, but I am really, really messy. F is a hoarder and I like clutter. We are both bad at housework. We both put things off. Our house is a tip.

Add into this that my house is still a doer uper after nearly a decade. It has had so many big things done to it and there are still more to come. Still with F's new job may be we will be able to afford to get on it again a little.

Today I started gathering up rubbish in the lounge and in the spare room where I do my craft bits. I made a lot of progress and realised that we need to do a car boot. F and I have been talking about this but we really have to do it. I need to get better at emptying bins and putting things in them in the first place. I really don't have to keep everything. Letting go is a good thing...

We also have bad furniture. It doesn't match what we need or how we live. In fact this house doesn't match us either but then that is another story. I do love this house but I am not a townie. We don't need three beds, there are two of us and a dog and we tend to share the same bed although Little Dog doesn't manage to persuade us all the time and sometimes she has to resort to sneaking on once we are asleep. We need a sofa bed maybe in one room to put up the very occasional guest.

We need wardrobes but we need ones that fit along one wall with no awkward gaps, not three towering things. We need to sort out the damp. We need to seal the walls and paper them and then put all the bookcases up against them and fill them with the books that crowd the house.

The hamster cage, the clothes that don't fit, the microwave, countless ornaments they all MUST GO! I am sure we could make some money...

The old car batteries, the spare wheels, the dead TV, the old dead computers, the decrepit old computer desk they all MUST GO! to the dump for they are no use to anyone... except maybe the spare wheels...

I have no idea why I hang onto clothes. I have slowly gained weight and kept everything, just in case but would I really wear this stuff if I lost weight anyway now? Do I ever want to wear a suit again? Do I ever intend to go to a ball? Do I have to keep my bridemaids dress as mys ister has been divorced for years? Do I have to keep the things I used to wear out clubbing, long before I met F? Maybe I am protecting myself from seeing how few clothes I truly have that fit and look nice....

I have so many ideas for nice tweaks and personalised things. Things I have seen in some places and plan on borrowing. Things I have come up with by myself.

So my bedroom... (oops the family bedroom) It currently contains three wardrobes, bed, two bedside tables, a chest, a dressing table and stool and a chair. I want it all gone, except the chest, it went to India with an ancestor and a bit of metal wool and some paint and it will look lovely in our sash window which stretches almost from floor to ceiling.

I want a fitted wardrobe all along one wall, which fits everything in it and has nice storage on top as well. I want a bed with room for storage underneath and also an area for Little Dog's bed because she is always happiest going to sleep in an enclosed space. If there is thunder or fireworks or the slightest possibility of them she goes and sleeps in the wardrobe.

I want to sort our floorboards out so they are nice and flat and then I want to get newspaper and lots of paste and create a floor, all nicely sealed up. Then I want to coat it in tinted gloss. F thinks I am a little crazy with this one... What do you think? *laugh*

I have seen branches full of charms hung above beds and washing line with things pegged on and I love the idea of something like this above our bed.

I want a room which has adequate storage and space and a comfy bed, where you don't have to cling onto your pillow to stop it disappearing under the headboard and I so need a new mattress...

I want a house free of clutter.... I want a house I can truly live in... A house I can invite others to without feeling shame. I want it to look alright when my sister comes to visit. I guess in the time all I can hope for is that it looks presentable...

3 comments:

  1. I've missed blogging all week. So am catching up on your posts! Your house sounds so like mine! I am a collector - of books, school stuff and things! My children nag me all the time about getting rid of stuff! I am even doing the goddess decluttering course! I think I am getting it tho - I do want to declutter and I am trying. Our place is tiny and we need new furniture as well.
    Oh well - eventually! lol
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad I am not the only one out there. Goddess decluttering? ooooohhhh, that sounds good! Let's hope we both get new furniture...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a thing about clutter....it drives me mental...but I also like my *stuff*...therein lies the problem...

    I thought about doing that decluttering course as well....*grin* perhaps it would be a good winter project...

    ReplyDelete