Friday 23 October 2009

Who Do You Think You Are? Part One

Went to the doctors today and it seems my virus as well as laying me low generally has gifted me a chest infection. I had noticed yesterday that my breathing felt laboured and today that has only worsened. I feel week as a kitten. The nice doctor has given me a precious piece of paper signing me off work all of next week and entitling me to statutory sick pay.

So here I am for the next nine days, unless I suddenly feel better and develop an overwhelming desire to return to work early.

Sitting here thinking about my path, I remembered a book I had bought. Another lovely self-help book called Who do you think you are? by Dr Nick Isbister and Dr Martin Robinson. It is all about identifying what motivates you, your abilities etc. The perfect book for someone trying to work out where they should be.

I started this book before but never got all the way through. I have found doing these sorts of books on my blog very helpful, although not necessarily very exciting for others to read.

So here goes.....

Exercise One - Hopes for me
What are you looking for from the 'Who Do You Think You Are?' process?
Although I like the people I work with, i don't always overly enjoy my work itself. I also don't enjoy working full time, 9 to 5. I don't think it suits me. I want to do something else but i don't know what. I know I have a tendency to get bored, so to do it for a living it has to be something that really suits me.

What's been prompting you to think about this?
It is an old question for me and one I have never really found an answer to. Work is in a rough patch at th moment. I am not sure how healthy my employers are in the current climate. I am not sur ehow healthy any employer is at the moment. Being ill and not wanting to go back, mostly cos I felt ick, has given me a kick. I don't like not being able to listen to my body and take time out when I need to. I knew nearly a week before I came down with this bug that things were not right. Left to my own devices I would have withdrawn and chances are I would not be sat here right now, being this ill.

What do you hope to have at the end of working through this process?
I hope to have a far better understanding of myself and my motivations and enjoyments at the very least. At best it may give me a new direction in life which will help me to get some where better for me. I also think figuring out what you should be doing helps to walk the right path. The path with heart.

Exercise Two - My Dreams and Aspirations
I did a whole page on word of clouds filled with dreams aspirations. Stronger ones in bolder clouds but I am not sure I could bring it onto blogger so here is a list instead...
  • Grow Food
  • Preserve food
  • Home brew
  • Husbandry
  • Edible flowers
  • Herbs
  • Be fit and healthy
  • Tai chi
  • Kayak
  • Ride
  • Thin
  • Eat healthy home cooked food
  • Live in tune with beliefs
  • With the seasons
  • Celebrate
  • Family
  • Get married
  • Children
  • Dogs
  • Learning
  • History
  • Explore land around me
  • Crafts
  • Live sustainably
  • Build eco-home
  • Own land
  • Conservation
  • Land management
That is all for now, my head is hurting....

2 comments:

  1. Another book I love the title of is What You Think Of Me Is None Of My Business by Terry Cole Whittaker. A little off track but you seem to have a huge skill set and you say you have gone where the wind blows you, now with this huge skill set you can choose where to go next. Choice is a wonderful thing and sometime we don't think we have choice but it is there but not part of our perception. Hope this time of feeling unwell gives you the opportunity to open to new opportunities. Gardens and castles and working on the land. Hope you feel better soon and see in a new way.

    My daughter has just resigned from her job because of her boss. She earns good money and loves the people she works with but he had just driven her into the ground, shouting a everyone and demanding way too much. She had been ill for the past eight months and finally made the decision to leave. Another job in a field she had not even thought of came her way through someone she knew who knew someone so she has a new job with a substantial raise. Scarey because it's something new but exciting because she will be learning and traveling to new places.
    So, when the time is right the RIGHT opportunity will be there.
    Take care.*hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh take these days to rest and plan and 'wait'...
    xoxoxoox

    ReplyDelete