Wednesday 11 February 2009

Word Wednesday: Roots

I am sat here with no desire to write anything at all. I want to curl up in bed, nice and warm. I had my session with the Mistress of Pain earlier which means I am now sore and in serious detox. My hormones have gone crazy and are doing their thing. F forgot to let me know that there was no tea tonight so I had to go shop after my massage. This meant that I got home later than I should have done. The new, and more expensive, hound food we bought at the weekend seems to inspire extra drinking. The result of all this was that Big Dog had been unable to contain himself. I discovered this after I had let them out and fed them. I was ferrying drinks and laptop into the lounge and had left F's tea on the side to put in so it would be ready when he got home. Unfortunately my being distracted by Big Dog's accident gave Little Dog the perfect opportunity to eat F's tea.

By this time I had had enough. I rang F and grumped. The end result is a box of chocolates and some flowers! *grin*

So roots... Do I have roots? I know my flowers have been completely separated from theirs and will die before long. Their current flowering is an illusion of life really. Is this what I am, a rootless being who just gives the illusion of life? How would I know? Maybe I don't need roots because I am not a plant.

Bizarely I am watching Star Trek and Jean-Luc Picard has just mentioned something about '....being connected, being rooted'. I was going to write a little of the roots of Cornwall, it's history but maybe I should write about something else instead...

Sometimes when I am out in the world, enjoying my surroundings and the weather, I feel... something... Particularly when stood at the sea with a wild wind blowing salt spray and sand into my face. Is this what it means to be connected?

Sometimes I feel so connected to F. In the little moments mostly. When I am awake and have to get up and he is still asleep as he is on a late and I lie there and watch him sleep. When he buys me flowers because I am grumpy and he wants to make me feel better. When he gives me a kiss good night and gives me that smile. When we walk in the snow and throw snowballs at each other and he helps me down slippy slopes. And when we are together in the wind, by the sea, breathing it all in....

If we were trees then we would be growing right next to each other, our roots and branches mingling. We would draw the beauty of nature up through and roots. And then what would we do with it? Trees transpire, evaporation pulls water up through the tree from the roots and out through the leaves. It is what the water carries with it that feeds the tree. So what is it that feeds us? What does nature carry? Th eonly thing that springs to mind is beauty... But then on a more practical level, nature is everything to us. Without nature, we could not eat, or drink, or anything...

We are all connected and rooted to this grand planet that rolls through space...

No comments:

Post a Comment