Sunday 5 April 2009

101 Things

Today I spent a bit of time on the internet looking things up for the things I want to do for 101 Things.

Yesterday's drive through Bodmin to get to Padstow made me think we should visit there as one of my visits to an unfamiliar town. I picked up some leaflets while in Padstow, including one for Bodmin Jail. This was the last county prison to remain open in Cornwall. Browsing their website I discovered that they do ghost nights... for a price... A little out of my league, but...

Then I found the company who do ghost walks in Penzance and St Ives. It seems they also run ghost nights at haunted locales for a much more affordable price. They do shorter nights from 8.00 pm to 1.00 am as well as full nights. One of the shorter nights is the day after my birthday at Pengersick Castle.

Pengersick sits in Praa Sands, which is a beautiful place with a stunning beach. I have seen the castle and it looks like a fascinating building that would be great to explore. It is also, apparently, the most haunted place in the country... It has suffered from TV programmes sensationalising it as a dark and demonic place but the owners and the people who run the ghost evenings claim this is simply untrue. Apparently a lot of odd things happen there and it has a unique charm and a sense of mystery. Sounds perfect to me...

I also looked up wildlife boat trips and discovered that they aren't that cheap. Then I remembered that The Helford Voluntary Marine Conservation Area have in the past run a cruise on the Helford to spot wildlife. I once went on a walk with the group and the esperts were very knowledgeable and informative. I can't imagine the boat trip being any different. I expect it would be better than a more commercial trip and it is definitely cheaper... Might have to get on and book that.

I am also determined to get to the Minack this year. I have never seen a performance there and neither has F. It is a delightful amphitheatre hewn out of the cliffs above Porthcurno, the sight where the first telegraph cables to America came on shore. Although it is outdoors they rarely cancel performances. Last year we finally booked to go see War of the Worlds. We managed to book one of the few days where the rain was coming in so heavy and horizontal that even the Minack felt the performance should be canceled...

I know ten trips to expensive restaurants might seem extravagant but I have some secret weapons up my sleeve. There is a website allied to the local newspaper where companies put up offers for auction. You might get dinner for two at a good restaurant for £25 if you are lucky. Many places have special offers to attract locals in out of season or for lunches or early evening. So I intend to be sneaky and find bargains....

I am liking having something to aim for, something to plan for. It helps stop me just drifting through life.... Must go buy some fruit though before I mess up some of my targets before I have even really begun...

No comments:

Post a Comment